Third Coast Progressive

My views on the world.

Thursday, November 01, 2007

NYC

Well, my New York trip was Oct. 25 thru the 28th and we had a great time.
My flight from BR was delayed 30 min. and my flight from Atl to LaGuardia was cancelled, so I had to take the flight an hour later.
I got to NYC about an hour late and went to get a cab. A guy in a chaffeur's outfit asked me if I needed a cab and I said yes. Big mistake. He ended up costing $75. I should have taken the shuttle.
I got to the Wellington hotel at 7th Ave. and 55th Street. I know I had requested a room with two double beds. They disagreed and we ended up in a room with one double bed and a rollaway. It was a nice hotel with a great location. We were right across the street from the Carnegie deli.
Once I got there, Susie and I went to the drug store then to an Irish Pub (McGee's) for me to eat. That night, we went to see Spamalot on Broadway (Shubert Theater) and it was great! I bought a poster and a magnet. Getting to the theater, we took one of the many bicycle cabs. It was a little scarey and very memorable. After the play we went to Therapy, a gay bar in Hell's Kitchen where Wendy Ho was performing. I had seen her video on LOGO. She takes well known songs and changes the lyrics to obscene things. She was very funny. After that, we went to another Irish Pub and had a beer, then to a smoke shop and back to the hotel.
We had planned on trying to get into Regis and Kelly (with Kevin Bacon and Brian McKnight), but had too bad of a hangover. So, we got up late and had breaky at the hotel diner. We had omelets (Susie's had salmon in it and mine was undercooked). Next we went to 5th Avenue to shop. We had planned on staying just a short while, but it turned out to be longer. We went to Saks, where the coat I wanted was $2500, Armani, Lindt, NBC, Tiffany's (where we saw an $18,000 pair of earrings) and various other expensive places. I bought some cologne at Saks and a belt at Armani. We also had coffee at Primeburger (Kerri from Sex and the City had eaten there) and I had cheese cake so I could take a pain pill for my back.
After shopping, we went back to the hotel and got ready for Xanadu. Xanadu was great (helen Hayes theater). I spent $130 on souveniers afterwards. They were having an AIDS benefit and selling signed posters and pictures with Cheyenne Jackson, the really hot main character of the show (played Sonny Malone). In line for the pics we were shocked to see someone from the movie Hair. Annie Golden played Jeannie in Hair and also was Cliff Claven's girlfriend in Cheers. Her resume is huge, so I can't go into it all here. Check out IMDB.com to see it. We asked and she agreed to be in the pic with us. After Xanadu, we went to Sardi's next door. It's the old New York place where all the celebrities used to go (and still do). It has caricatures of them on the walls. Well, it was expensive to eat, so we went to the bar to have a drink and there was Annie Golden again. She came and sat with us and was very nice and answered lots of questions. We got pictures. It was very exciting.
After that, we went looking for a place to eat. I was hungry. We walked a while and didn't really see an appealing place, so we hitched a ride in a cab and went back to the hotel. We ate at the deli across the street from the hotel. We had some pretty big burgers and some beer. We were intriqued by the piles and piles of pastries behind the counter.
The next morning we had breakfast at Carnegie deli. We both had eggs and bacon (lots of bacon). It was very snug in there, lots of ppl. Then we got another cab and went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. There was a Rembrandt exhibit Susie wanted to see. It was very nice. I got up close to the landscape paintings and it felt like I was in them. We at at the Petrie restaurant there. It wasn't very good, except for the cappicinno. I bought mom and granny some jewelry from the Met shop. It was recreations of old jewelry (earrings). Next, Susie and I walked thru Central park. It was pumpkin fest and there were ppl carving pumpkins. Went by the big Bathesda fountain (from the Friend's opening credits) and went by the Boathouse with the gondolas. Walked by Strawberry Fields and the Dakota Bldg. (where John Lennon was shot and they filmed Rosemary's baby). Walked thru the park back to 5th Avenue. Then did some more shopping on 5th Avenue. After that we were beat. We went back to the hotel for a while. That night, ppl were celebrating Halloween. There were all kinds of ppl in costumes. Many were standing in line for hours to get into the clubs at Dream hotel. Must be a nice place. We went to have pizza at Angelo's, next to David Letterman's theater. Then walked around, saw the ice skaters at Rockefeller Center, saw the Rainbow room, got lost and then we decided to go back to McGee's pub and have some drinks. After that, that was it. We were ready to crash.
The next morning, our last, we woke up to a street fair type thing on 55th Street. They had the street blocked off and tents selling food and stuff. We decided to go to the bagel place. I had a croissant and susie had a bagel with salmon and cream cheese. After that, it was time to leave. Susie took a cab to the port authority, to catch her shuttle. My shuttle picked me up near my hotel. The guy could barely speak English. He got me and the others to LaGuardia and I proceeded to my flight.
It was a great trip and I can't wait to go back.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home