Third Coast Progressive

My views on the world.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Brush with greatness

I'm back at work after attending our annual IT conference. It's a fun activity with a vendor expo (free goodies), lots of speaker presentations (boring), free lunch (usually good, but not this year) and a big party with hospitality suites that serve all kinds of food and drinks. I enjoy going every year. Last year's conference was cancelled due to Katrina, so everyone was looking forward to attending this year.
It was nice to see all my friends from my last job there. I was able to sit with them during lunch and during some of the presentations.
The hospitality suites were fun as usual. I didn't stay too long b/c it was a work night and I wanted to get home and watch my TV shows, lame I know. These suites are usually scattered all over the hotel, so it's kind of an adventure to find them all. Usually a group of us will wander around to each suite, check out the spread, eat some food, get a beer, talk some sh*t with the vendor, get any freebies available and move on to the next room on the next floor. There are normally only 5 or 6 suites to visit, but this year there were closer to 11. One room had the Chris LeBlanc band, a local blues group that is very good. They also had gambling (not with money) in that suite.
My brush with greatness came on the second afternoon of the conference. The governor, Kathlene Blanco, spoke at the conference and finished up. I had to pee, so I went to the bathroom. When I came out of the bathroom, the governor was being interviewed by the news media. So, I and several others waited while we watched what was going on. When the governor finished her interview, she came our way. Now, I have a problem when things like this happen. I don't know how to seize the moment like others do. I also overthink things. I was hoping to shake the governors hand, but didn't want the secret service guys to think I was trying to jump her or anything (and example of overthinking), so when she came by I was late getting my hand out there and she passed me by. Everyone else got a handshake. My coworker, Leslie, not only got a handshake, but also got a hug and a picture with the governor. I was disappointed. It was still exciting. She did look my way and say hello. I guess I just didn't look like I wanted to talk to her. Oh well, maybe she'll speak again next year.
I really think this problem I have with seizing the moment is my biggest problem. It has been with me my whole life and I think it's why I have no significant other. I remember as a child going to a fair. Some young couple came by and asked me if I wanted one of the stuffed animals that they had won. I said I'd have to ask my mom and went to find her. Of course, they were gone when I got back. I was very upset. It appears that I am still the indecisive shy person I was when I was a kid. I really thought I was better than that. I'm not sure how to fix it.

1 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Cindy N. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home