Third Coast Progressive

My views on the world.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Friday again.

Well, the Saints game last weekend was disappointing. They lost to the Ravens. I was afraid that would happen, considering how good the Ravens have been. I just hope the Saints can pick themselves up and continue to win. The rest of their schedule isn't that hard, on paper.
I'm a little annoyed this morning. I'm considering writing another letter to the editor, but probably won't. There was a letter to the editor in the paper this morning about the proposed new main library. There is a big discussion (controversy) about where to put the new library. Many ppl want the new library to be built downtown. Many others, iincluding myself, want it to remain where it is, in a central location in mid-city. I was a little taken aback by the letter b/c I had read the same exact wording in another letter to the editor from a high school student a few weeks back. It appears that those in favor of a downtown library are taking their cues from modern politics and are using talking points to argue their position. Talking points, for those who don't know, are lists of statements put out by organizations in favor or opposition to a candidate or issue, for their supporters to use when arguing their point or writing letters. This lady letter writer didn't even change any words to try to make her letter seem original.
Also, the Advocate, our local paper, printed an editorial in todays paper in favor of the downtown library. I was upset by their wording. They basically said that anyone who opposed the downtown library is an 'agitator' who doesn't 'comprehend' modern society. How insulting is that! There is just no need to stoop to that level of public discourse. Now I'm torn. If I send in a letter lambasting their tactics, I'll be using the same tactics, saying negative things. Also, when you write letters to the editor, everyone sees it and comments to you about it. I wish I could write in anonymously to avoid having to talk to everyone about it.
Oh well. Enough of that. It's the weekend and I'm excited. We go to PF Changs tonight. Tomorrow is mom's birthday, so we'll go to Mansur's restaurant. I bought her an HP Printer and a doberge cake, half lemon, half chocolate. Then Saturday night I have a date. We'll go downtown to the Capital City Grill. Mmmmm. I'm gonna have to work out extra next week to burn off all these calories.
Just a few more days till the election. Come on Democrats, take the House and the Senate and give 'em helll!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home